B.B.S.First Yrs. Programme/ MGMT
Full Marks: 100
Business English (MGT 201) Time: 3 hrs.
Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable.The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
Now Course (Regular)
Attempt ALL the questions.
1. Fill in the blanks with appropriate conjunction. 
(a) No sooner had I finished my lunch… ……. I went out.
i. then ii. when ii. than iv but
(b) ………. he studied hard, he did not pass the exam.
i. Despite ii. Because iii. Because of 4 Although
(c) She went to school…….. …. her sickness
1 in spite 2 . despite 3 though 4.because’ of
(d) I like reading ……. I don’t like swimming
1 due to 2 and 3 but 4 . as
e She was………. capable nor intelligent for the job. Therefore, she was rejected for it.
1 . either 2 . as well as 3. neither 4 both
2. Change the following into passive, if possible.
(a) Nobody is looking after the children.
(b) An engineer married Ramesh’s, youngest daughter
(c) They have been coming Kathmandu very soon.
(d) Who wrote this book?
(e) She will write an essay
3. Answer the following questions as instructed 
a) Walking tirelessly, she reached on the top of the mountain(identify participial phrase)
b) Write an exclamative sentence following the given words order. What (+adjective) noun + sub+ verb
(c) He drove for nearly six hours (identity modifier)
d) Write a sentence following the sentence pattern S+ V+O +A
e) Write a compound sentence joined by the conjunction ‘and’
4. Choose the correct word in the following sentences:
a) Bear/Bare/Beer is an animal than hibernates during winter
b) She came to that conclusion with her parènts’ accent/ascent/assent
c) I attended two classes today. The later/latter/letter is more interesting.
d) This document needs through /thorough/throw editing.
e) This is one of the rights/rites/rite as mentioned in Hindu inscriptions.
5. Write any five meeting related terms with their meanings.
6 Write a complaint letter expressing your dissatisfaction of customer service of a reputable hotel. …………
7. Prepare a leaflet of one of your favourite holiday destinations.
7.Write a news report on the opening of 25th branch of Shikhar Bank Limited in Ilam headquarters.
9 Explain the ways of recognizing ‘verbal signals’ with suitable examples.
10. Edit the given passage with special attention to subject verb agreement, tense forms, pronoun reference, punctuation marks etc .(There are six mistakes altogether)
Books are by far, the most lasting product of human effort. Temples crumbles into ruin, pictures and statues decay, but books .survive Time does not destroy the great thoughts which are as fresh today as when they first pass through their author’s mind. These thoughts speaks to us through the printed page. The only effects of time has been to throw out of currency of the bad products. Nothing in literature which are not good can live for long Good books have always helped man in various spheres of life. No wonder that the world keeps its books with great care.
11. Read the following passage to identify “additional information indicators,” “contrast marker”, “conclusion marker,” “effect or cause marker,” and “time indicator.”
Man is not destined to vanish. He can be killed, but man is not destined to vanish. He can be killed, but he cannot be destroyed, because his soul is deathless, and his spirit is irrepressible. Therefore, though the situation seems dark in the context of the confrontation between the superpowers, the silver lining is provided by amazing phenomenon that the very nations which have spent incalculable resources and energy for the production of deadly weapons are desperately trying to find out how they might never be used they threaten each other, intimidate each other, and go to the brink, but before the total hour arrives, they with draw from the brink.
12. With the help of the following clues, develop a paragraph for the title “Climate Change”
…………… a burning and pressing issue of the present world
…………….. the whole world has been affected
….. ………temperature of the earth is increasing, snow-capped mountains are changing into black hills, sea level is increasing islands are gradually sinking into the sea
Answer any THREE of the following questions: [3×10-30]
13. Describe a place that has played an important role in your life Include a narrative that conveys the place’s significance to you.
14. What kind of comparison strategy does Bharati Mukherjee use in her essay “Two Ways to Belong in America”? Why does she use that strategy? How effective is her conclusion to achieve her objective in this éssay?
15. Write an essay about a relative or a friend you have known since you were a child. Consider how your opinion of that person is different now from what s/he was then.
16. Is Judy Brady’s characterization of a wife still accurate today? Which of the characteristics she describes have remained the same? Which have changed? Give reasons. (“I Want a Wife)
17. According to Daniel Engber, Organic Food advocates argue that real, natural, healthy food “tastes better, anyway. “Do you agree that natural food tastes better than junk food? (“Let Them Brink Water!”)